How to use profiler for windows service?

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
tweety

How to use profiler for windows service?

Post by tweety » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:13 am

Hi,
i am tweety. I am new to .Net memory profiler. I have gone through the demo lessons for using this tool. I came to know how to attach a windows service for which i need profiling. I have an application whose internal objects are created through the service. I am just not able to figure out when should i take the snapshot for the base and the take another snapshot? I need to know whether there is any memory leaks or not.

Thanks & Regards
tweety

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:09 pm

In order to use snapshot comparison to find out whether you have a memory leak or not, it is good to identify an action for which you know the live instances that might get created. The easiest way is if the action should not create any new instances at all. Since I don't know what your service does, it's hard to give any concrete tips on when to collect your snapshots.

If you cannot find any action that is suitable for testing, you might try to just identify classes whose instance count keeps increasing. The real-time view might be helpful for this. When you have identified a suspicious class, you can collect a snapshot and investigate it using the "Class details" or "Instance details" view.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

tweety

Post by tweety » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:53 am

Thanks you andreas. The tip was helpful.
Regards,
tweety