Waiting for Process to start.... [SOLVED]

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.

Waiting for Process to start.... [SOLVED]

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:29 am

I've managed to get the profiler running.

These are the steps i took. Since directory names might be different I've only outlined my basic steps for anyone to replicate.

First: Uninstall the 2.5 you have installed.

Start RegEdit.

Search for RootIdTrigger.dll

I had two entries under different GUIDs. Delete them both.

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\assembly\dl2

Press F3 to search.

Search for file: NetMemProfilerBase.dll

Delete the directory in which this file resides. (will be named something like ...dl2\RQY2M5Z2.T9J\D8P2ZTC4.G59\5a16caa4\809e62ed_fcedc201
delete the 809e62... etc etc .

Install 2.5 again.

Start program & it works.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:50 am

Oh - I also renamed C:\config.msi to C:\config.msi.old. Its supposedly a temporary storage area for InstallShield, and it should be ok to remove.

Don't know if this had anything to do with anything, as I still got the "Network Resource Unavailable" error at the end of installing 2.5.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:39 am

Bleh -

After successfully starting a profiling run, I got the bright idea to try to start it from Visual Studio.

Then I got the dreaded "Waiting for process to start".

Oh noes...

I quickly shut down Visual Studio, starting the profiler stand alone again, and got the same message.....

So back to ­[] -1

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:13 pm

Update: I succeeded in getting it to run again by disabling stuff in the Tools->Settings area.

Specifically, On the interactive page, I've disabled everything except Collect Realtime Data and Enable Dispose Tracker. Enabling any of the other items will cause the "Waiting for process to start..."

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:44 pm

The "Waiting for process to start..." problem happens when the profiler fails to locate the RootIdTrigger.dll file. The profiler tries to find this file in the same folder as the NetMemProfilerBase.dll file. Unfortunately, it seems like VS.NET makes a shadow copy of the NetMemProfilerBase.dll file, which causes problems when loading RootIdTrigger.dll.

We have not been able to reproduce this problem, but we will change the way the profiler locates RootIdTrigger.dll, so that it will not be affected by any shadow copying of profiler files.

The RootIdTrigger.dll file is only used when root referee identification is enabled, or when heap utilization tracking is enabled. By disabling these features (which I understand that you did), the profiler should be able to start properly.

We will release a minor update of the profiler within one week, which will hopefully fix this problem.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:17 pm

Now we have released a minor update of the profiler. This version extracts the location of RootIdTrigger.dll from the registry, instead of using the directory of the NetMemProfilerBase.dll file.

So the profiler will hopefully no longer get stuck on the "Waiting for process to start" message.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB