nmpcore - where to install debugging tools

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
skraemer

nmpcore - where to install debugging tools

Post by skraemer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:55 am

hi there,

i want to take a snapshot of a 32-bit .net 4 app. concurrent gc is enabled. what i tried:

- nmpcore /a pname.exe => please disable concurrent gc (cgc)
- edit pname.config.exe to disable cgc, starting pname.exe wont work. pname.exe crashes => why?
- try to use dbg: nmpcore /da pname.exe => error: ".NET Memory Profiler has failed to locate an installation of "Debugging Tools for Windows". These tools must be installed before the profiler can attach to a process."

questions:
- so where does nmpcore search for the debugging tools? can i supply the path?
- why does my app crash when disabling cgc?

thanks for your help

sk

Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: nmpcore - where to install debugging tools

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:32 pm

It's very strange that your program crashes when you disable concurrent GC. Concurrent GC adds complexity to the garbage collector, so it should be safer to run with it disabled. As I understand it, the program crashes before you have attached the profiler, so the crash cannot be caused by the profiler. Is that correct? I have not heard of any issues where disabling concurrent GC causes any problems, and I don't have any information for you about why this occurs.

When using the /da option with NmpCore, NmpCore tries to locate the installation folder of Debugging Tools for Windows. It is currently not possible to specify the location of the Debugging Tools using a command line parameter. This is something we will add in the next version.

If you have installed the debugging tools, and NmpCore cannot locate the installation, please provide us with information about what version of the tools you have installed so that we can investigate this further.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

skraemer

Re: nmpcore - where to install debugging tools

Post by skraemer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:07 am

hi,

i am sorry. but i had an error in my app.config. now it works like a charm...thanks for your fast answer.

sebastian