"Reporting memory regions" never finishes

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
Impworks

"Reporting memory regions" never finishes

Post by Impworks » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Hello,

I've just installed the trial version of .NET Memory Profiler and wanted to check if our application has any memory leaks. However, when I press the "Collect Snapshot" button, the pop-up window with the progress bar reaches the "Reporting memory regions" status and doesn't go any further. I've waited for like 20 minutes already, which is far beyond any reasonable time.

I tried, without any success:
* Running the "Guided profiling" mode
* Attaching to a running process
* Restarting the computer

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 x64, Visual Studio 2012. The hardware is sufficiently powerful.
Could you give any advice on how to overcome this?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: "Reporting memory regions" never finishes

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:45 pm

When reporting memory regions, the profiler will take a lock on the Win32 heaps. If there’s a left-over heap lock when collecting a snapshot, this could cause a dead-lock and the process will hang. There's an option to disable the heap walking, using an undocumented command line argument (/heapwalk). We didn't document this option, since this previously happened very seldom. We've had just a few reports about this issue since .NET Memory Profiler was released over 10 years ago. However, now we have had 5 reports about this the last month, for some reason. So we have decided to disable the heap walking by default. To get information about the Win32 heaps, it is recommended that the unmanaged resources tracker is used instead (it will present much more detailed information).

You can download the latest build of .NET Memory Profiler from http://cdn.memprofiler.com/download/Mem ... 4_6_49.exe. We will probably release this build officially tomorrow.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:30 am

Same problem whith version 4.6.48 and 4.6.49
I'll try to trace xbap browser application and to investigate memory leaks. I've got the message box "Collecting Snapshot, please wait..." indicating "Reporting memory regions" and "cancel" buttons disabled.
Waiting for 10 minutes and always same problem.

I'm using VS2010 SP1, Windows 7 64 bits.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:52 am

If you have tried with version 4.6.49, then this is some other unknown problem that we have not heard of before. Could you create log-files from the profiler and send them to support@scitech.se? Using the log-files, we will hopefully be able to find out why the profiler hangs.

You can create log-files by using the command line below. This will create a set of log-files in the c:\MemProfilerLogs directory.

"C:\Program Files\SciTech\NetMemProfiler4\NetMemProfiler.exe" /log:c:\MemProfilerLogs
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:20 pm

email send.
starting from the command line seems to be Ok, but always Ko when starting from Visual Studio

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks for the log-files. We have managed to reproduce the error and fix it. There a new maintenance release of .NET Memory Profiler available that includes the fix. It can be downloaded from the download page.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB