.NET Runtime Version Mismatch

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
kkokosa

.NET Runtime Version Mismatch

Post by kkokosa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi,
I have a problem when analyzing full memory dump taken from production server. It was taken with procdump utility on ASP.NET 4.0 website on 32 bit Window Server 2003.

I know that proper .NET version is mscordacwks_x86_x86_4.0.30319.296.dll because it is a version which I'm using within WinDbg x86 session.

When trying to open the same dump from .NET Memory Profiler 4.6, .NET Runtime Version Mismatch dialog is opening one after another when clicking OK button, although I've successfully used option "Retrieve from the Microsoft symbol store" because the same above-mentioned dll version was downloaded to folder D:\Work\Symbols\mscordacwks_x86_x86_4.0.30319.296.dll\50484AA966f000\mscordacwks_x86_x86_4.0.30319.296.dll

Moreover, this dialog is telling that "A matching SOS.dll file nas not beed found". Trying to point to a file c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\SOS.dll do not help - after OK button the same dialog appears again and again. This sos.dll file is successfully used by WinDbg, so where is the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Konrad

Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: .NET Runtime Version Mismatch

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Are you using the sos.dll file from the computer where the memory dump was created or from the computer where you import the memory dump?

If .NET Framework 4.5 is installed on the importing machine, then the sos.dll file will not be compatible with the memory dump. In this case you need to copy the sos.dll from the machine where the memory dump was created.

If you are using a matching sos.dll file, this is something we need to investigate further.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

kkokosa

Re: .NET Runtime Version Mismatch

Post by kkokosa » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks very much. It helped indeed to get an exact version of sos.dll from production server. And I have .NET 4.5 installed on my computer indeed.