Error while importing dump files

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
jltaylor

Error while importing dump files

Post by jltaylor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:59 pm

I am evaluating this product but when I try to import a dump file I get the following error:
The profiling session was stopped unexpectedly, with the following error message: "The output char buffer is too small to contain the decoded characters, encoding 'Unicode' fallback 'System.Text.DecoderReplacementFallback'.
Parameter name: chars".
This dump was created using DebugDiag 2.0 with the LeakTrack dll injected.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: Error while importing dump files

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks for the error report. The error message seems to indicate some error with the string reader in the profiler, or that there's some problem with reading data from the memory dump. Is there any possibility for you to provide us with the memory dump that causes the problem? If there is, please contact us at support@scitech.se for information on how you can send the dump to us.

Otherwise, we will need log-files from the profiler to investigate this further. I believe we will need to add some more checks and logging related to this problem to get more detailed information.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

jltaylor

Post by jltaylor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:08 pm

I can't provide the dump files, it contains sensitive information. Where do I find the log files?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:16 pm

I have added some additional logging related to this problem. Can you download the latest build from http://cdn.memprofiler.com/download/Mem ... 4_6_67.exe and create the log-files using this version?

You can create log-files by using the command line below. This will create a set of log-files in the c:\MemProfilerLogs directory.

"C:\Program Files\SciTech\NetMemProfiler4\NetMemProfiler.exe" /log:c:\MemProfilerLogs

Can you send the log-files to support@scitech.se so that we can investigate this further?

Note that the log-files will contain metadata information such as assembly, type and method names, but no instance data or code information will be included.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

jltaylor

Post by jltaylor » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Sorry for the delay, here are some logs. This is for a different dump file but with the same result.

EDIT: My company firewall is blocking the attachment, is there another way for me to get you these logs?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks for sending us the log-files. They confirmed that the error occurs at the location we suspected. However, the additional logging we added is not included. Did you download version 4.6.67 before creating the log-files?

Anyway, we are currently investigating this and we have found a problem that could cause the error. I will get back to you as soon as I have some more information.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:28 am

Now I believe we have fixed the problem that caused the memory dump import error. Can you download the latest release from http://cdn.memprofiler.com/download/Mem ... 4_6_68.exe and see if it works better?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB