Page 1 of 1

Problem profiling a WPF application

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:50 am
by Valing
Hi.

I am evaluating the .NET Memory Profiler 4.6 to see whether it may help us find our memory leaks in a WPF application. My problem is that even though the process is started, the login window for the application is not opened.

I have tried to reinstall .NET Memory Profiler (reboot the machine before installing) and I have started the profiler with logging enabled.

The ProfilerLog.txt ends with the sentence "Class added in ClassLoadFinished CommonLanguageRuntimeLibrary!AccessViolationException". Don't know if this is an error or for information.

Is there something else I should try to get the profiler to start the application properly?

I can attach to the application if it is already started.

Thanks,
Valing

Re: Problem profiling a WPF application

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:42 pm
by Andreas Suurkuusk
The fact that the AccessViolationException class is loaded by the profiled process indicates that an access violation has occurred in the profiled process. Maybe the log-file includes other information that can give a clue about why the access violation occurs. Would it be possible for you to send the log-files to us at support@scitech.se?

Re: Problem profiling a WPF application

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:02 am
by Valing
Hi.

I'm not allowed to send you the logfile due to the detailed information. But a colleague has tried the profiler and it works for him (profiling the same project). Compared my logfile with his, and he too get the AccessViolation, but unlike my profiler his profiler continues to process the project.

One difference during installation is that I selected integration with both Visual Studio 2010 and 2012, while he only selected VS 2012. Will try to reinstall the profiler when have finished other tasks.

Thanks.

Re: Problem profiling a WPF application

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:02 am
by Andreas Suurkuusk
I understand that it is not possible to send us the log-files, but without the log-file it is unfortunately hard for us to find out what's causing the problem.

I doubt that different Visual Studio integration settings affect this issue, but reinstalling the profiler might still be a good idea.