Troubleshooting a memory profiler disconnect.

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
bup

Troubleshooting a memory profiler disconnect.

Post by bup » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:12 pm

Hi - my company is evaluating MemoryProfiler for our development team.

Every time I try to profile our flagship application, it starts the app, and when I attempt to take a snapshot, memory (according to the task manager) skyrockets in both the memory profiler and the app. Then I get a message box:

"The connection to the profiled process was lost and profiling ended."

I have turned off the dispose tracker, the root referee identification, and the heap util tracker. Same result.

Any other ideas on how to be able to use the prfiler for our app?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:30 pm

Hi,

To be able to help you with this problem, we will need some additional information. What version of the framework are you running? Are you able to profile other applications on the same computer, e.g. a simple windows forms application? Is it possible for you to provide us with a log file?

To enable logging you must supply the "/log" command line argument to the profiler executable (NetMemProfiler.exe). This will create three log-files in the program directory: ProfilerLog.txt, ProfilerClientLog.txt and AssertLog.txt (AssertLog.txt will probably be empty). If you send these log files to support@scitech.se (preferably zipped), it will give us more detailed information about your problem.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB