Fails to Profile an ASP.NET application

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
Vijay

Fails to Profile an ASP.NET application

Post by Vijay » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:58 pm

I had been able to profile ASP.NET application until yesterday!!

Today for some reason, the usual message box displays "waiting for profiled process to start. You may have to request an ASP.NET page to start the ASP.Net process"... and it stops right there inspite of requesting a local asp.net page!

FYI,
I have a licensed memprofiler version
I am able to profile windows application/service...

please help with this .. :(

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:17 am

Have you done any changes to your system that could affect the profiler installation? To make sure that there hasn't occured a problem with the installation, I recommend that you uninstall .NET Memory Profiler and then reinstall it again. It might also be a good idea to restart the computer before reinstalling, just to make sure that there are no conflicts.

If it still doesn't work, there are some things you can do to provide us with additional information.

First of all you can check to see whether the profiler environment variables have been set correctly. The environment variables of the ASP.NET process can be presented by adding the following code to the Page_Load method of an ASP.NET page and then requesting that page when profiling.

foreach( DictionaryEntry de in Environment.GetEnvironmentVariables() )
{
this.Response.Write( de.Key.ToString() + " : " + de.Value.ToString() + "<br>" );
}

If environment variables are correctly set you should see entries like:

clr_profiler : {FA6880B7-74A8-4593-A3C9-926DB8DFD9DF}
Cor_Enable_Profiling : 1

It would also be good if you could provide us with log-files created when you fail to profile ASP.NET. To create the log files you must supply the "/log" command line argument to the profiler executable (NetMemProfiler.exe). This will create three log-files in the program directory: ProfilerLog.txt, ProfilerClientLog.txt and AssertLog.txt (AssertLog.txt will probably be empty). After you have created the log-files, you can send them to support@scitech.se (preferably zipped).

The log-files will hopefully help us identify the problem.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB