Where is the real-time tab in 3.0

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
sjmueller

Where is the real-time tab in 3.0

Post by sjmueller » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:47 pm

I am using the preview version (3.0.78.0) and I don't see the "Real-time" tab anywhere after I've attached to my .net 2 executable. I can take snapshots (they take forever), but i dont see anywhere how to view real time memory usage like in demo 3. Does anyone else have this problem?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:37 pm

When you attach to the process there is no real-time data collected and the real-time tab is not available. To collect real-time data, you need to start the profiled process from the profiler, by selecting Profile Application, Profile ASP.NET or Profile Service.

Attaching to a process is very un-intrusive, the profiler only investigates the memory of the profiled process when a snapshot is collected. No data is collected while the process is running, and no modifications are made in the profiled process. Therefore information about call stacks and real-time data cannot be presented.

Unfortunately, collecting a snapshot from an attached process can be slow, especially if you have a lot of instances in the process.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

sjmueller

Post by sjmueller » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:33 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I started from the profiler instead, and it worked.