"A module has been unloaded..." then "Failed

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
plong

"A module has been unloaded..." then "Failed

Post by plong » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:53 pm

When I start my executable, I get this message from the profiler:

A module has been unloaded (due to an application domain being stopped). Because of an error in the .NET Framework no static fields will be identified for newly loaded classes.

I click OK, and the exceutable continues to start up. A few minutes later, I do a heap snapshot. After a few seconds, I get this message:

Failed to load resources from resource file
Please check your Setup

After clicking OK, I got this message and then clicked No.

The profiling session was stopped unexpectedly, with the following error message: "Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.".
Do you want to save profiler sesion?

Earlier, I had another profiler, ANTS, installed (but not running). Just to be sure, I uninstalled it but continue to get this behavior. It's done this every time I've tried it today. Yesterday, however, I got this behavior only something like 25% of the time and so was able to capture some useful info.

Anybody have any idea what the problem is?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:35 pm

Due to a bug in .NET Framework 1.x, it is not possible to evaluate root referees after a module has been unloaded. I took I look at the log-files you sent to support@scitech.se, and I discovered that the profiler tried to evaluate root referees, despite of the fact that a module had been unloaded. Looking at the profiler source, I saw that we have accidently removed the code that avoided root referee evaluation when a module has been unloaded.

This will be fixed in the next release. Until then I recommend that you disable root referee identification, or that you run your program under .NET Framework 2.0.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB