Can I profile a no-touch deployment app?

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
Ian

Can I profile a no-touch deployment app?

Post by Ian » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:28 am

I'm trying to track down a large leak in our application (with V2.6.64.0) that seems to occur when the app is run from a web site (i.e the application is launched from a URL), but doesn't seem to be leaking when it is run locally.

Can the profiler support no-touch application profiling?

Thanks
Ian

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:25 am

There is currently no support for profiling a no-touch deployment application, but it will probably be added in a future version.

I did some quick tests to see if it was possible to start a no-touch application from the profiler, and even though I managed to start the application, the profiler failed to attach to the process.

We will look into this, and hopefully it will soon be possible to profile no-touch applications.

Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:54 pm

I've been playing about trying to get this working since making my original post, and I seem to have got it working.

The trick (for .Net 2.0) is to set the application to be profiled as
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\IEExec.exe

and then set the program arguments, inside double-quotes, to be the full url to the no-touch application.

It seems to work ok for me at the moment. Not sure if it will still work tomorrow though :wink:

Ian