Collecting instance data

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
Ian

Collecting instance data

Post by Ian » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:01 pm

I have the instance data collection rules set to "Always collect instances of class: <Any class>", yet I still find that some classes do not have any instance data collected for them.

Is there some sort of hard coded limit to prevent very big classes being collected? The class in question that prompted me to make this post is a UserControl derived class, yet according to the profiler the instance for which no data was available had a size of only 292.

Regards
Ian

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:21 pm

Even though we have not experienced it ourselves, it is possible that the profiler fails to retrieve instance fields for a class. If that happens, no instance data will be presented.

Normally I would ask you to provide us with log-files so that we could get more information about what's happening. Unfortunately, too little logging is performed when retrieving instance fields, so I doubt that we will get any good information. (We are adding some additional logging that will be included in the next release. )

If it's possible for you to send us a program where the profiler fails to collect instance data, I think we can solve this problem. Otherwise I will notify you when the next update is released, and then you can hopefully send us some log-files.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Ian

Post by Ian » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:55 am

Andreas Suurkuusk wrote:If it's possible for you to send us a program where the profiler fails to collect instance data, I think we can solve this problem. Otherwise I will notify you when the next update is released, and then you can hopefully send us some log-files.
I'm happy to wait until the extra logging changes are ready.

Thanks
Ian

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:08 pm

We have now released an update of the profiler which performs some additional logging related to instance data collection. To help us find out why instance data is not collected, you can download the new version from http://memprofiler.com/download.aspx and see if the error still exists. If it does it would be good if you could create and send us the log-files.

To create the log files you must supply the "/log" command line argument to the profiler executable (NetMemProfiler.exe). This will create three log-files in the program directory: ProfilerLog.txt, ProfilerClientLog.txt and AssertLog.txt (AssertLog.txt will probably be empty). After you have created the log-files, you can send them to support@scitech.se (preferably zipped).
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Ian

Post by Ian » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:25 pm

Hi Andreas

Latest version still exhibits the No Instance Data problem. I have just emailed the data you requested.

Ian

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:07 pm

Thank you for the log-files. We have now found and fixed the problem.

The fix will be included in the the update, which will be released within a few days.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Ian

Post by Ian » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:40 am

As ever, the ultra quick turnaround you guys do is much appreciated.

Ian

edit: I'm using the updated version now (2.6.74) and I have not seen any problems with the instance data collection since upgrading.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:30 pm

We have now released a new version of the profiler (v2.6.74) which fixes the instance data collection problem described by Ian.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB