profiling ASP.NET

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
wdines

profiling ASP.NET

Post by wdines » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:53 pm

I am trying to profile an ASP.NET application that is used as a host for .NET remoting.

when I start profiling I get the "waiting for profiled process to start...." message but as soon as I start the asp.net application with a .NET remoting call I get the following message:

"The connection to the profiled process was lost and profiling ended"

I am profiling ASP.NET that is running on my local IIS

any ideas??

thanks

Bill

P.S. I am a licensed user!!

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:33 pm

.NET Memory Profiler should not affect the way ASP.NET is run, but it will slow down the process and the memory consumption will increase.

In order to solve this problem we will need some additional information. Is there any possibility that the ASP.NET process is being recycled for some reason? Is your ASP.NET application working after you have received the lost connection message?

What operating system and .NET Framework version are you running?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

wdines

Post by wdines » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the long delay in responding, I've been sidetracked onto other issues with a looming deadline!

To answer your questions:

the ASP.NET application runs fine after profiling fails and the ASP.NET process isn't being recycled.

I've just tried to profile a Windows application and I get exactly the same thing - so basically I can't profile anything at all!

I am using Windows XP and .NET Framework 2.0 with .NET Memory Profiler v2.5.33.0

thanks in advance

Bill

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:54 pm

Version 2.5 of the profiler was released while .NET Framework 2.0 was still in beta. It does not work very well with RTM version of .NET Framework 2.0.

However, version .NET Memory Profiler 2.6 is a free upgrade from v2.5 and includes full support for .NET Framework 2.0. It can be downloaded from our download page at http://memprofiler.com/download.aspx (you will find the download link at the bottom).

I hope this solves your problem with ASP.NET profiling.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB