Cannot profile CLR C++ applications?

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
Matt Sweeney

Cannot profile CLR C++ applications?

Post by Matt Sweeney » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:00 pm

IS it possible to 'Start Memory Profiler' within .NET 2005 for a Managed C++ application? When I attempt to do this, the command is greyed out.

It works fine for a C# application within the same solution.

Regards,

Matt Sweeney

Matt Sweeney

Post by Matt Sweeney » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:05 pm

FYI: NMP is a fantastic application, we have been using it for some time and find it an indespensible part of our application development cycle.

I hope we can use it for C++ applications as we use a heavy amount of mixed-language assemblies for various reasons.. including C#,VB.NET, C++, and some hand-coded IL.

Regards,

Matt Sweeney

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:15 pm

It is currently not possible to start profiling managed C++ projects by using the "Start Memory Profiler" command from within Visual Studio. It is however possible to use the "Profile Application" command and select the corresponding compiled executable.

We will add support for the "Start Memory Profiler" command on managed C++ projects in a future version.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:31 pm

Andreas Suurkuusk wrote:It is currently not possible to start profiling managed C++ projects by using the "Start Memory Profiler" command from within Visual Studio. It is however possible to use the "Profile Application" command and select the corresponding compiled executable.

We will add support for the "Start Memory Profiler" command on managed C++ projects in a future version.
Thanks for the reply, I use this method from now on. Looking forward to 3.0 with unmanaged profiling! (so I hear).

Matt Sweeney