168mb of Kernel.VirtualMemory when in non-managed mode

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
endian675

168mb of Kernel.VirtualMemory when in non-managed mode

Post by endian675 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:24 am

Hi

I am using Memprofiler 3.0 to analyse the application I am working on. When running the unmanaged analysis, I see 168mb of unmanaged memory allocated to "kernel.virtualmemory", via the NTAllocateVirtualMemory method. My instinct says that this should just be reserving memory in the page file, but looking at the memory footprint of the app it seems to be reserving this space in RAM.

I'm confused....

thanks

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:41 pm

The resource tracker of .NET Memory Profiler only tracks virtual allocations that actually commit the memory, reserved memory is ignored by the profiler. Committed memory needs to be stored somewhere, and depending on the way it is used, it may be stored in physical memory or in the page file. If the memory is not part of the working set of the application, it can get flushed to the page file if the OS needs more physical memory.

Are you seeing this memory presented in the Native memory view as well (e.g. under the "Other data.<Other>" node)? How much memory is presented as physical compared to committed?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB