Newbie - VS2005 C# profiling

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
AbbottF

Newbie - VS2005 C# profiling

Post by AbbottF » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:21 pm

I have a demo version. I am trying to profile a winApp the access a com api through Interop. The application runs on its own. When I select profile application and then start, the main screen appears & I am able to select a file to process. Once I start the process, I don't see any activity in the profiler and my application does not seem to be doing anything. When I select stop, the application closes.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:35 pm

After you have started profiling an application, you normally don't see any activity in the profiler. You need to collect a heap snapshot (using the Profiler->Collect Heap Snapshot command) to retrieve data from the profiled process. When a snapshot has been collected, you should be able to view data about all managed types in your process. If real-time data collection is active (e.g. by enabling it in the "Profile Application"-wizard), you should be able to see memory data presented in real-time under the Real-time page.

You mention that your application doesn't seem to be doing anything. Do you mean that your application doesn't start properly when run under the profiler?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB