ASP.net trashed after installing profiler

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
stefan

ASP.net trashed after installing profiler

Post by stefan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:27 pm

I just installed the demo version of the product on .Net 1.1.
My environment was working well. Now I get a flurry or errors and am unable to bring it back up:
- "Memory could not be read" errors when pulling out a page.

In the system log:
The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINNT\system32\w3ctrs.dll" for the "W3SVC" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted.

What happened?

Stefan

Post by Stefan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:41 pm

After deinstalling the profiler and rebooting my machine. Things are back to normal.--- ahhh
I may give it another try.... Any hints on what happened appreciated.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:39 pm

From your description it sounds like you were experiencing the errors even when you were not running under the profiler. Is this correct? Just installing the profiler should not affect ASP.NET or any other .NET application on the system. When connecting to ASP.NET, certain changes are made to the registry. If the profiler crashes while connecting, these changes will not be restored. However, the next time you start the profiler, it should detect that it crashed previously and restore all changed settings.

Anyway, this is not something we have heard of before and I don't know what caused your problem. If you decide to reinstall the profiler and you still experience problems, it would be very good if you could provide us with some log-files from the profiler.

To create the log files you must supply the "/log" command line argument to the profiler executable (NetMemProfiler.exe). This will create three log-files in the program directory: ProfilerLog.txt, ProfilerClientLog.txt and AssertLog.txt (AssertLog.txt will probably be empty). After you have created the log-files, you can send them to support@scitech.se (preferably zipped).
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB