WPF Support

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
h1

WPF Support

Post by h1 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:37 pm

Hello,

Hello, I just downloaded the trail version, and the tutorials. The tutorials are great! Thanks for providing them.

Can I use Memory Profiler to profile WPF applications?

I've tried using it on a vanilla wpf app (has nothing just a window). When I try to profile the app. The app breaks before it starts...

I wish I could provide you with more information, but I don't know where to look.

Thanks

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:53 pm

We have not done much testing of WPF applications, but the tests we have performed suggests that it is possible to profile WPF applications using .NET Memory Profiler. I just did a quick test under .NET Framework 3.5, using Visual Studio Codename Orcas Beta 1. And the profiler seems to work correctly under this release as well (we will of course do more extensive testing before the RTM of Orcas is released).

What framework version are you running? Do you have an example application that the profiler fails to run? What options have you enabled?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

h1

Post by h1 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:08 am

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm running under frame 3.0, vista x64.

The wpf application is a vanilla application. Just an empty wpf exe created in visual studio.

And as for .Net Memory Profiler settings, I'm just clicking next, next on the wizard. Note I just realized that I can attach to an already running wpf process.

When I look at problem details I see the following:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: windowsapplication1.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.2675.19006
Problem Signature 03: 4634e4fc
Problem Signature 04: PresentationFramework
Problem Signature 05: 3.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 453054bb
Problem Signature 07: 947
Problem Signature 08: 43
Problem Signature 09: System.BadImageFormatException
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards!

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:26 pm

We have tested to profile a WPF application under 64-bit Vista, and we have managed to reproduce your problem. This error only occurs when the dispose tracker is enabled when profiling a 64-bit WPF application. Everything works fine when running as a 32-bit application, and the dispose tracker works for other 64-bit applications.

We have not been able to explain why this happens, but we have modified the way the dispose tracker injects code into the profiled process. This avoids the problem you're experiencing, but this solution requires quite a bit of testing before we can release it. In the meantime, you can profile your WPF application by either running it as a 32-bit process (if possible) or by disabling the dispose tracker.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed May 02, 2007 7:48 pm

Now we have built a maintenance release of .NET Memory Profiler that should be able to run 64-bit WPF applications with the dispose tracker enabled. We need to perform some additional testing, so we have not yet released this build officially. But if it's possible for you, it would be good if you could download it and test that it has solved your problem. It can be downloaded from:

http://memprofiler.com/MemProfilerInsta ... -64bit.msi

The 32-bit version has also been updated, and can be downloaded from:

http://memprofiler.com/MemProfilerInstaller3_0_110.msi

Thank you for informing us about this problem.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB