Comparing two snapshots - details for only deltas?

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
bryanax

Comparing two snapshots - details for only deltas?

Post by bryanax » Tue May 08, 2007 8:35 pm

I'm comparing two snapshots - and seeing large numbers of instances of certain objects. Under the types tab, I can see x number of live instances, and y number of delta instances.

When I click Show Details, it shows me details for all live instances -however, to try and assess what's going on, I'd really only like to see details for the delta instances, so that I can better determine what's 'new' to the latest snapshot. However, I haven't found a way to do that.

AHA,

Bryan

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed May 09, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi,

There are no specific "delta instances", so it's not possible to show details about them. E.g. if you have 100 new instances and 99 removed instances, it is not possible for the profiler to locate a single delta instance. However, you can easily locate and view details about new instancess (i.e. instances that didn't exist in the comparison snaphshot).

You can locate new instances in the Type details view by for instance filtering or sorting on the "New instance" column (see picture).

Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

bryanax

Post by bryanax » Wed May 09, 2007 2:14 pm

What version of memprofiler is that? When I look at the Type Details tab, I don't see that column, or the age column? We're using Pro version 3.0.108.0

I can send you a screencap from my system...

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed May 09, 2007 2:24 pm

The screenshot was captured using 3.0.113, but it should be exactly the same in 3.0.108.

One thing I forgot to mention is that when you attach to a process, the profiler has no way of identifying instances as new or old, and the "New instance" column is not available. Since you don't see it, I assume that you are attaching to the process. Is it possible for you to start the profiled process from the profiler (using Profile Application, Profiler ASP.NET or Profile Service)?
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

bryanax

Post by bryanax » Wed May 09, 2007 2:33 pm

The app has been long-running - trying to diagnose without stopping/starting. If I have to do that I will, tho.

Thanks.