The memory could not be "read"

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
Post Reply
jmorrison
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:35 pm

The memory could not be "read"

Post by jmorrison » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:49 pm

I successfully attach to the ASP.NET process on my local computer (File -> Profile ASP.NET -> Start Profiling). I start my application (ASP.NET, 2.0 Framework, Windows 2k) by going to http://computername/site/page.aspx.

I can view the real time tab, but if I "Collect Heap Snapshot" I get:
The instruction at "0x1000860e" referenced memeory at "0x02179184". The memory could not be "read".

The .NET Memory Profiler then hangs on the "Collection Heap Snapshot" dialog window.

I tried rebooting and only starting up .NET MP and the IE window, but got the same results. Do you have any suggestions or need a log?

Andreas Suurkuusk
Posts: 1029
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:53 pm

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:22 am

There is a bug in the .NET runtime that could cause an access violation when evaluating static fields. We have added a workaround for this problem, but if the workaround would fail there will still be an access violation. This might be what happens in your case.

First of all, it would be very good if you could provide us with log-files from the profiler.

Secondly, you can try to disable root referee identification (in the Tools->Settings dialog), too see if it works better when static fields are not evaluated.

To create the log files you must supply the "/log" command line argument to the profiler executable (NetMemProfiler.exe). This will create three log-files in the program directory: ProfilerLog.txt, ProfilerClientLog.txt and AssertLog.txt (AssertLog.txt will probably be empty). After you have created the log-files, you can send them to support@scitech.se (preferably zipped).
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Andreas Suurkuusk
Posts: 1029
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:53 pm

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:55 am

I just want to make another comment on this.

The workaround we have written for the static field evaluation bug can be dependent on the actual version of the runtime. If a service pack or a new version of the runtime is released, we will test the workaround and, if necessary, update it as soon as possible.

Currently the workaround only works for the final version of .NET Framework 2.0 (it's not used/needed for .NET Framework 1.x). If you are running under RC1 of .NET Framework 2.0, you must disable root referee identification, otherwise this error will occur. Of course it is highly recommended that you install the final version of .NET Framework 2.0 instead.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests