Feature Request: Profile (x) And Attach Debugger To Process

Use this forum to discuss and/or suggest future improvements of .NET Memory Profiler and to report bugs.
Derick Bailey

Feature Request: Profile (x) And Attach Debugger To Process

Post by Derick Bailey » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:33 pm

Love the memory profiler... amazing application, especially the integration into VS.NET 2003.

I do have a feature request, though. I'd like to see an option in the Profiler menu of the VS.NET integration that starts the profiler and also forces VS.NET to attach it's debugger to the process being profiled.

Example: when i want to profile / debug my windows server, i use the "Profile Service" option in the menu. After it starts, I then use the Debug menu to attach to the process. I would like to have an option for "Profile Server And Attach Debugger" so that when the profiler restarts the service, it automatically attaches the VS.NET debugger to that process.

Thanks.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:13 am

Our experience is that profiling and debugging a process at the same time is not completely stable in version 1.x of .NET. However, we still have not experienced any problems debugging a profiled .NET 2.0 process. Therefore we are considering adding the possiblity to run the profiled process under the debugger, when running in VS.NET 2005. If we add this feature, it will probably be included in v3.0 of the profiler (and not in the upcoming v2.6).

Thanks for the suggestion.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Yannick

Upcoming 2.6

Post by Yannick » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:13 pm

And do you know when the version 2.6 will be available ?

Thanks

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:46 pm

Version 2.6 of the profiler is scheduled to be released in the end of September.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB