win32 heaps leak

Use this forum to discuss subjects that don't belong in the other forums.
banderberg

win32 heaps leak

Post by banderberg » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:21 pm

Hello, after using .NET memory profiler I have found that my leak is a "win32 heaps" leak.

.NET Mem profiler doesn't track these memory allocations.

I've tried using LeakDiag from Microsoft to find the leak but the stack it gives me is truncated so I can't see where my software calls come from. I think the stack truncation has to do with frame stack omission used by Microsoft when they compile the .NET framework dlls.

Anyway, the leak is driving me nuts and I can't find where it's originating from.

Any ideas?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:55 pm

As I have mentioned in a previous e-mail, the ”Win32 Heaps” are unmanaged heaps. This memory has been allocated by calls to the Heap functions ( e.g. HeapAlloc). The Win32 Heaps memory can for instance be memory used internally by the runtime, by COM objects and other unmanaged resources.

It’s possible that this memory is used by unmanaged resources wrapped in managed classes. Unfortunately, the current version of the profiler does not present unmanaged resources used by the profiled process. We’re currently looking into the possibilities of adding an unmanaged resource tracker to the profiler. If you believe that this tracker is an important feature, you can tell us by using our poll at http://memprofiler.com/featurerequest.aspx.

Anyway, you can use .NET Memory Profiler to try to locate instances that may wrap your Win32 heaps memory. The dispose tracker is useful for this.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

banderberg

Post by banderberg » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:00 pm

Andreas, thanks for your reply but my purpose for posting was to see if anyone else had suggestions about finding win32 heaps leaks..

I realize your program won't find them at this point in time.

Thanks for your response,

Barry