VS IDE integration suggestions

Use this forum to discuss and/or suggest future improvements of .NET Memory Profiler and to report bugs.
Sergey M

VS IDE integration suggestions

Post by Sergey M » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:59 pm

I've been working with eval version for about 10 days now and here are my observations on VS IDE integration (in the order of importance):

1. Double clicking on call stack line with source code available opens up a file but positions the cursor at the bottom of the screen. It'd make much more sense to show the code line at the top of the screen to avoid excessive code scrolling. FYI, if I recall it correctly, there is a method on DTE's textselection to force the line to the top of the screen.

2. I'd like to see configuration options to pre-set default view and default filter. Every single time I start profiling, I end up changing those two.

3. Is there any ways to force it not to ask me on whether I want to save profiling session. I have "Discard Session" option selected but that doesn't seem to have any effect.

Thanks.

Sergey Mishkovskiy
OpenSpan - Unify Your Vision
www.openspan.com

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. You are right, it would be better to position the cursor at the top of the screen. We will implement this in a future release.

2. We will look into this, and will probably implement it in a future release.

3. The Discard session option only applies when profiling without a user interface (i.e. by providing command line arguments). Currently the only way to save a session is when the profiling ends, so we decided that we always ask whether to save the session or not. If it was possible to automatically discard a session, you would never get a chance to save it (which you might want to do occassionally). We will probably change the way sessions are saved in a future release, and it's possible that we will add an option to never ask about saving the session.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:29 pm

Andreas,

If I may add few more suggestions.

1 - Add IDE integration menu shortcuts to the main Profiler menu item and all of its sub-items

2 - Consider adding version information to Help|About. This way I don't have to hunt down the version number and can easily find out if my version is up to date or not.

3 - This would be a nice touch. Consider adding your icon to the splash screen.

Thanks.

PS We've just ordered 2 copies.

Sergey Mishkovskiy
OpenSpan - Unify Your Vision
www.openspan.com

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm

We have considered adding shortcuts to the profiler commands, and will probably do it in a future version. We just need to find some unused keyboard shortcuts (a lot are already occupied).

We will also look into the Help->About dialog of Visual Studio, and add an icon to the splash screen.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB