User Interface leaves a lot to be desired

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
smallmountain

User Interface leaves a lot to be desired

Post by smallmountain » Tue May 04, 2010 1:05 pm

So I'm using MemProfiler today, and I open a profiler project that has a couple old sessions in it, and then I create and use a new session. Now, I want to go back and look at some snapshots from one of the other sessions. So how do I do that? Your user interface provides no way that I can find. I right-click on the session -- nothing. I look in the Profiler menu -- nothing. What's the point of profiler projects if you can't easily re-open the sessions directly, rather than having to do File > Open and find them in the file system? Is this not obvious?

Eric

Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: User Interface leaves a lot to be desired

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue May 04, 2010 1:54 pm

The profiler projects window cannot be used to open session files directly, but you can use the project window to select snapshots to compare and then use the "Compare snapshots" command in the project window. This will load the session file and compare the snapshots. If only a single snapshot is selected, it will be compared against the "Empty" snapshot. Note that if you are using the standalone profiler, you cannot use a snapshot from another session as the primary session while profiling an active session. The standalone profiler only keeps one session in memory at the time, and it cannot unload an active session.

For more details see the screenshots below and the online documentation.
CompareSnapshots.png
Single session snapshots
CompareSnapshots.png (48.13 KiB) Viewed 6186 times
CompareSnapshots2.png
Dual session snapshots
CompareSnapshots2.png (48.33 KiB) Viewed 6186 times
The profiler projects window is obviously lacking context menu support. A context menu is only provided for the project nodes, not for snapshot and session nodes. This will be improved in the next version.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

smallmountain

Re: User Interface leaves a lot to be desired

Post by smallmountain » Tue May 04, 2010 5:12 pm

Okay, well, that certainly helps. My experience has been that pretty much everything I want to do with MemProfiler is possible, it's just not always obvious or intuitive how to make it happen. Thanks very much.

Eric