CPU Usage Hangs

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
Ken Alexander

CPU Usage Hangs

Post by Ken Alexander » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:18 pm

We have an application that is a mix of VB6 and VB.NET. At unpredictable times the client machine's CPU Usage will jump to between 25% and 90% and stay there or climb until the application is shut down. Is this a memory leak? I am trying the Memory Profiler to see if it helps me find the problem. I am not very familar with GCing and memory usage. What would I look at in the Profiler to imediately tell me there is a serious memory leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Ken Alexander

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:32 pm

High CPU usage is not normally an indicator of a memory leak, unless the memory leak causes an excessive amount of gen #2 collections. A memory leak can cause a lot of paging, which will cause the program to run very slow, but this should not cause high CPU usage.

To detect a memory leak you can run your application under the profiler and collect a few snapshots. If the total amount of live bytes increases in each snapshot, it indicates that you might have a memory leak.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

Ken Alexander

Post by Ken Alexander » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:32 pm

Thank you. I will keep looking.
Ken Alexander