Attach to process doesn't show Dispose View

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
howard

Attach to process doesn't show Dispose View

Post by howard » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi

We've recently purchased a license for v3.1 and I'm currently trying to understand how to get the best out of it.

What we've got is an ASP.NET "frontend" application and an ASP.NET webservice but they both have their own app pools. So what I wanted to do was attach to webservice w3wp.exe and look at the dispose info for that process. However I found that when attaching to a process that the dispose view doesn't seem to be available and the manual doesn't say either way whether this should be the case. Can you confirm?

The obvious workaround would be to move the frontend and webservice into the same app pool and start the application from the profiler but I'd rather try and profile the code in the same way that it'll be actually be used.

Thanks
Howard

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:31 pm

When attaching to a process the snapshots are purely analytical, i.e. only the contents of the process memory is analysed. The profiled process is not affected in any way. Therefore the amount of information presented when attaching is not as detailed as when you start the process from the profiler. The dispose tracker relies on injection of IL-code into the process, and therefore it will not work when attaching, and thus no dispose information will be presented.

Unfortunately the profiler will always collect data from the process that is started by the profiler. It's currently not possible to profile spawned processes, but that's something that we will try to support in future versions.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB