Shortest root path is hidden

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
KentJohnson

Shortest root path is hidden

Post by KentJohnson » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:27 pm

I am trying to track down a memory leak. I have identified the leaking objects. When I view them in Type details / Shortest root paths, no paths are displayed, just the message "Shortest root path is hidden for the selected instance(s)."

What does this message mean? How can I display the root path for these instances?

Thanks,
Kent

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:35 pm

Root paths can be hidden if you have selected "Hide paths with zero sort value" option, or if only identified root paths are included. To show the hidden root path, either disable the "Hide paths with zero sort value" option or sort by some other value (e.g Live instances). If the root is not identified, you will also need to clear the "Only include identified roots" option.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

KentJohnson

Post by KentJohnson » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:33 pm

Both of those options were turned off already.

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:38 pm

There is a problem with type root paths presentation in the public preview of .NET Memory Profiler 3.5. I don't remember the exact details, but it could cause a root path to be missed under certain circumstances. This has been corrected in the upcoming beta of .NET Memory Profiler 3.5.

Please contact us at support@scitech.se, if you want us to take a closer look at this issue. If you provide us with a session file, we can hopefully give you more information about the roots that keep the instances alive.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB