No .NET runtime found in the process

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
vdhaeyere

No .NET runtime found in the process

Post by vdhaeyere » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to import a memory dump file from our application (.Net 4.5.2, desktop WPF, 32-bit).

There is now a dialog popping up that read "No .NET runtime found in the process".

I have seen in a previous attempt a request to download some dll from microsoft (not sure the exact wording or dll name) and I proceeded. It ended in an error.

Now, this request is not coming up anymore, I just get this popup dialog "No .NET runtime found in the process".

Any clue on how to solve that ? I'm using .net Memory Profiler v5.6.46.

I have seen others people reporting a similar issue on this forum but no solution was proposed (except for loading a past version ?) ?

Kind regards,

Vincent D'Haeyere

Andreas Suurkuusk

Re: No .NET runtime found in the process

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:37 pm

Is the memory dump file you try to import a full memory dump file? (I.e. including all user mode data?) .NET Memory Profiler cannot include a memory dump that only includes partial information, e.g. call stacks.

If you have a full memory dump, then this is something we would like to investigate further. If it's possible for you to send the dump file to us, you can contact us at support@scitech.se for instructions on how to send us the file. We will of course treat any file you send us as confidential and we will delete it as soon as we have resolved the issue.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

vdhaeyere

Post by vdhaeyere » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi,

Thank your for you answer.

This a full memory dump (obtained from Task Manager), running on Windows 7 64-bit OS.

I believe that the issue is that the dump file is actually a 64-bit dump file and not a 32-bit dump file for our 32-bit process. This is probably causing some confusion in .Net Memory Profiler.

I have taken further 32-bit dumps of our process and have been able to load them into memory profiler.

So I believe this is a false alarm,

Vincent D'Haeyere

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks for the update.

It is true that you get a 64-bit memory dump of a 32-bit process if you use the Task manager. However, this is something that should be handled correctly by .NET Memory Profiler. We will look into this and see if we can find some problems with the detection of 32-bit processes.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB