Can I see a list of all Gen 2 objects?

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
NikiE

Can I see a list of all Gen 2 objects?

Post by NikiE » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:40 pm

First of all: Great work! I've been playing around with MemProfiler for a few days now, and I've bought it the minute 3.0 was out.

Anyway, here's my question: to get a better picture of what's happening in my managed app, I'd like to see a list of all the Gen 2 objects on the managed heap; also, I'd like to take two snapshots and see what obects are new in Gen 2. So, basically, I'd like to see the Types/Ressources (details) panels filtered by Gen 2 objects. I know I could get the information with SOS, but the Memory Profiler must know what generation the objects are in, is there a way to view it?

TIA

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:31 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. Knowing the generation of the instances can be useful information, but there are some problems with retrieving this information.

When you collect a standard snapshot, several full GCs takes place, so all instances that are part of the snapshot have been promoted to
gen #2. However, if heap utilization tracking is enabled, you can collect a snapshot using only a single gen #0 GC, and thus you avoid promoting instances to gen #2. But still, you have affected the generations since some instances have been prematurely promoted to gen #1.

I believe that the best use of this feature would be if you attach to a process. When collecting a snapshot from an attached process, the managed instances are not affected at all, so the generation information will be the most correct.

I have added your suggestion to our suggested features list and it might be implemented in v3.1 of the profiler. If we're going to implement this, it will probably only be available when you attach to a process since that will present the most accurate data.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

pcpatel

Post by pcpatel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:44 pm

So, is this possible if I upgrade to version 3.1 RC? If so, where will I find the information about instance generation in the profiler?

Thanks!

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:01 pm

No, unfortunately this feature didn't make it into version 3.1. It is still on our feature requests list, and it will hopefully be included in the next release.
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB