.NET 1.1 Windows Service wont start

Use this forum for questions on how to use .NET Memory Profiler and how to analyse memory usage.
solidstore

.NET 1.1 Windows Service wont start

Post by solidstore » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:23 am

I'm trying to profile a pure .net 1.1 windows service. However it work start using the profile. I can tell from my own logging code that the process starts but the windows service does not start. Of course without the profiler everything starts up fine. Im running on Windows 2003 server. The eventlog shows no errors about from the failure to start the service. Is there any additional logging or any suggestions for the cause?

Andreas Suurkuusk

Post by Andreas Suurkuusk » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:03 pm

You should be able to start profiling a Windows service under Windows Server 2003, so we will need some more information to be able to find out what's causing this problem.

Are you running the profiler under an administrative account?
What version of the profiler are you using?
Do you get a "Waiting for profiled process to start" message, and does it disappear after a while?
Do you get any other messages from the profiler?

You can create log-files that will provide us with additional information by supplying the /log parameter to the profiler executable (NetMemProfiler.exe). Three log-files will be created when profiling a session: ProfilerLog.txt, AssertLog.txt and ProfilerClientLog.txt. If you are running .NET Memory Profiler 3.0 the log-files are normally saved under C:\Document and Settings\<User>\Application data\SciTech\MemProfiler3, but when profiling a service this is not the case. If you run the service under the LocalSystem, the ProfilerLog.txt and AssertLog.txt files will be placed under the C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\SciTech\MemProfiler3 directory instead. .NET Memory Profiler 2.6 creates the log-files in the installation folder of the profiler.

The log-files can be sent to support@scitech.se (preferably zipped).
Best regards,

Andreas Suurkuusk
SciTech Software AB

solidstore

Post by solidstore » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:12 pm

I downloaded the latest 2.6 version and the problem disappeared. Thanks for the info about the log files though.